Treadmill Reviews, Elliptical Trainer Reviews, Home Gym Reviews, and other fitness equipment reviews from an industry insider.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer Review

Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer Review
Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5 for a horrible warranty
Price: $599
Click To Buy The Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer

If you’ve had a chance to look through my reviews you’ll notice I like different brands for different things. I like Horizon Fitness for bargain treadmills and ellipticals, I like Star Trac for high end home fitness equipment, and I like Schwinn for mid-range elliptical trainers. That brings me to my review of the Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer.
(A different take on this elliptical trainer)

The Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer takes aim at the under $600 crowd. When I first started researching the Schwinn 430 I was somewhat impressed with the specs. The Schwinn 430 has an above average stride length and more resistance levels than your average bargain elliptical trainer. The 275 lb. user weight capacity was also an impressive benchmark considering the fairly small price tag. There are 8 programs, and that is pretty much standard for the price range. If Schwinn were looking to break records and sell some elliptical trainers, they would have included 10 programs.

All things considered, it’s a decent elliptical trainer with pretty good motion and an excellent set of features. There is but a single crippling flaw, the labor warranty only lasts for 90 days. A 90 day labor warranty is pathetic. If I had to compare it to something I would say it’s like buying a brand new car without brakes. It’s that bad. I don’t have a problem with the design, mechanics, or performance of the Schwinn 418, just a problem with whoever decided a 90 day labor warranty was reasonable.

If I ever saw an elliptical trainer with anything less than a full year labor warranty I would be very cautious about plopping down a couple hundred dollars to buy it. A short labor warranty indicates that a company is not willing to back their products because they know there’s a good chance something is going to break down. People, I would steer clear of the Schwinn 418 if at all possible.

If you’re a fan of Schwinn Ellipticals, I would strongly suggest you check out one of the higher end models like the Schwinn 438. It has a year long labor warranty and is an excellent set of features. If you still want a cheap elliptical trainer, I strongly suggest you check out something by Horizon Fitness. The Horizon EX56 is $599 and has a year long labor warranty. In the end, the choice is yours. I hope you choose well.

No comments: