Treadmill Reviews, Elliptical Trainer Reviews, Home Gym Reviews, and other fitness equipment reviews from an industry insider.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical Trainer Review

Elliptical Trainer Review: Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical Trainer
Elliptical Trainer Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5 for being extremely the extremely innovative CrossRamp feature but lacking pretty much everything else
Price: $2599

Hello Readers,

Is anyone who lives in SoCal tired of this god forsaken heat? I am! It’s ruining my running routine! I just want to run during the day but it’s just too damn hot! I suppose that’s why I got a treadmill, so I will be insulated from a lot of the weather Southern California decides to throw at me. As a matter of fact, the only time I wasn’t able to run due to weather since I bought a treadmill was when a thunderstorm knocked out my power. Anyway, I thought it’s high time I get one of the heavy hitters up on the site. I present to you my Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical Trainer Review.

Coming in at just under $2600 the Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical Trainer is one of the titans of the fitness industry. You’ll find Precor units in many gyms and my membership at 24 Hour Fitness tells me these elliptical trainers are pretty darn popular. I’m going to be honest, when you spend $2600 bucks on an elliptical trainer you’re going to get a good piece of fitness equipment. The motion of the Precor EFX 5.17i is amazing. It’s smooth, you don’t get any of the bumps or scrapes associated with lesser elliptical trainers.

What makes the Precor EFX 5.17i different from all it’s competitors? Simple, the adjustable CrossRamp. The CrossRamp is actually unique to Precor units and very innovative. Adjusting the CrossRamp will enable users to isolate and work out specific muscles. That’s particularly useful to women, who may want to sculpt perfect thighs. (My personal favorite thighs are Chun Li’s from Street Fighter II Turbo)

When it comes to stride length I’m left wanting more…in a bad way. The Precor EFX 5.17i has a 19” stride length. Honestly, I really do like to see at least 20” worth of stride length, and a company gets even more brownie points if they add an adjustable stride length feature. The stride length just isn’t enough for me if I’m paying more than two grand for an elliptical trainer.

Overall, this is an excellent piece of fitness equipment. When you spend a couple grand on an elliptical trainer it’s hard to go wrong. However, the Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical Trainer is probably not “the best of the best of the best”. Though I will say the innovative Crossramp does make the Precor EFX 5.17i a very attractive option for some, particularly women.

No comments: