Treadmill Reviews, Elliptical Trainer Reviews, Home Gym Reviews, and other fitness equipment reviews from an industry insider.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Image 17.5S Treadmill Review

Treadmill Review: Image 17.5S Treadmill
Treadmill Rating: 2 stars out of 5 for an incredibly short parts and labor warranty
Price: $599

Hello Readers,

It’s another blistering day in the San Gabriel Valley, just outside Los Angeles. I’ve finally given in to Mother Nature and turned on the AC at about noon. I’ll be running it all day today to ward off this horrible heat, which gives me a great segue way in to my Image 17.5S Treadmill Review. How do you ward off bad treadmill purchases? Easy, you read my Image 17.5S Treadmill Review.


Image Fitness Equipment is a member of the Icon Fitness Equipment corporation. If you have not heard of Image Fitness Equipment, you’ve probably heard of the sister company ProForm. Proform designs and supplies Sears Proform Treadmills. Image Treadmills are not all that different from Proform Treadmills. As a general rule of thumb, stay away from any Sears Proform Treadmills and Proform Treadmills in general. There are a couple gems in Proform’s line, but there’s a lot more fool’s gold than gems in the Proform Treadmill product line. Ughhh, off topic again.

One thing to the Image 17.5S’s credit is speed. Users can run at up to 10 MPH. Many treadmills in the $600 price range have top speeds of 8 – 9. In all my years of fitness equipment industry experience, this is an above average top speed for the price. If you plan on doing some running with your treadmill, 10 MPH is a pretty fast pace to keep for any serious amount of time. I know, I’ve done it, and it nearly killed my heart!


The Image 17.5S Treadmill includes 6 programs. I can’t really go off on a rant about 6 fitness programs, but I certainly can compare it to other treadmills in this price range that offer far more fitness programs like the Horizon T91 Treadmill. Six fitness programs is okay, but there are treadmills with a lot more fitness program options out there, and options are good!

I could go on for probably another six pages listing reasons why the Image 17.5S Treadmill is inferior to the Horizon T91 Treadmill, but I won’t. I think all you really need to know is the warranty. A treadmill warranty tells you exactly what’s on the inside of any treadmill. If a treadmill has a good warranty there are good parts underneath the hood, at the very least the treadmill manufacturer believes the treadmill has good parts underneath. If the treadmill warranty is bad or too short, then the treadmill probably has bad parts underneath. Unfortunately, the Image 17.5S Treadmill has an incredibly short 90 parts and labor warranty. That’s pathetic. If you’re paying $600 for a treadmill I would expect, no, demand parts and labor coverage for at least an entire year!

I implore you, please check out the Horizon T91 Treadmill before you decide to buy the Image 17.5S Treadmill. I’m certain you be glad you did!

No comments: