Treadmill Reviews, Elliptical Trainer Reviews, Home Gym Reviews, and other fitness equipment reviews from an industry insider.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Review

Schwinn 431 Elliptical TrainerSchwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Review
Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5

Price: $799
Click To Buy The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer

The Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer is decent. It’s not great and it’s definitely not bad. It’s decent. Like so many other Elliptical Trainers from Schwinn, the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer suffers from a critical problem, warranty. Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer has a shockingly short 6 month labor warranty. If you’re one of the unfortunate people with a defective drive system labor can cost between $50 and $250! I’ve ranted so many times that I just can’t seem to trust an elliptical trainer or treadmill from any company if the company is not willing to say “we’re so confident in our design, we’ll fix any defects free of charge for the next year.” Schwinn has not sent that message to the consumer or this reviewer.

There is a couple redeeming qualities. Schwinn has tried to compensate for a lacking treadmill warranty by packing in tons of features. There are over 19 fitness programs. That’s a lot by just about any standard, even considering higher end Star Trac and Matrix ellipticals.

The motion is excellent and the mechanics are nearly silent. The Schwinn 431 has one of the smoother feels in the under $999 price range. The Schwinn 431 Elliptical has an 18” range of motion, okay it’s not 20” like some of the $3000 elliptical trainers out there, but 18” is more than enough for most people. Go ahead and shake it, it won’t move too much and stay just as steady when you work out on it. There are also plenty of resistance levels to gradually increase the intensity of your cardio routine.

After considering all these factors I began to become torn. How do I rank an elliptical with a poor warranty but some of the best features and mechanics around? I know I’m not going to feel happy or right about anything I put, and I’m probably going to want to mess with the rating and update this page after I hit publish, but I know my rating has to stand. If Schwinn decides to come around and offer a better warranty my rating will skyrocket, but for now I rate the Schwinn 431 Elliptical Trainer 3.5 stars out of 5 for delivering a superb piece of fitness equipment but failing to back it up with a good warranty.

There, I have spoken my peace and will go take a relaxing shower to relax after this intense elliptical trainer review.

No comments: